How do I correct my federal extension that was rejected?

Modified on Thu, 13 Apr 2023 at 12:14 PM

If your federal extension was temporarily rejected, you can make corrections to your extension and resubmit it to the IRS for acceptance at no additional charge.  

To make corrections to your temporarily rejected extension, follow the steps below:

  • Login to your account with the email address and password you used when creating your account.
  • The account will open on Tax Filings where you can find the extension (Business or Personal) that was Temporarily Rejected.
  • Click on the red button that says, Correct and Resubmit at no additional cost.
  • Review the notes in red outlining the errors that need to be corrected.
  • Make the corrections on your extension and click Next button.
  • Continue to click Next button until you get to the notification stating that your extension request has been sent to the IRS.
  • Be on the lookout for an email (it usually comes within a few minutes - be sure to check your “junk” and “spam” folder for the email) letting you know that the extension was accepted, or you can find it under Extension Notification in your account.
  • If the extension was Temporarily Rejected again, please look over the reason for the rejection and go through the steps again to make any corrections.

Feel free to reach out to us if you are unable to correct your Temporarily rejected extension.

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article