Can I file for an extension if my spouse doesn't have a SSN or ITIN?

Modified on Thu, 23 Feb 2023 at 02:12 PM

When eFiling federal extension (form 4868) and you or your spouse don't yet have a SSN or ITIN issued, you will need to file the extension just the person who already has a SS or ITIN.  When you are ready to file your return, you can file a joint return and include your spouse once they have received their SSN or ITIN. 


Note:  You don't have to use the same filing status on your tax return that you used on your tax extension.  



Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article