What if I don't have SSN or ITIN?

Modified on Tue, 20 Dec 2022 at 02:18 PM

You will need a SSN (Social Security Number) or ITIN, (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) to eFile an individual tax extension (4868).   If you don't have a SSN and aren't eligible for one, you can provide your ITIN where it asks for SSN. 


NOTE:  If you don't have an ITIN or have applied for an ITIN and haven't received it yet, you can complete a "print and mail" individual tax extension form at https://file.freetaxextension.com.

Enter 0"s (zero's)where it asks for the SSN.  Once the extension is completed, log back into your account and print your federal extension form.  Write "ITIN TO BE REQUESTED" where the SSN is requested on the and mail it to the IRS using the instructions on the form.


Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article