What do I do if my AGI is wrong?

Modified on Tue, 20 Dec 2022 at 02:17 PM

The need for your previous year AGI, "Adjusted Gross Income", is to make an electronic payment to the IRS for taxes owed for the current tax return/extension due.  If your personal federal tax extension was temporarily rejected due to a notice that “the PIN you created using the AGI from the previous years tax return was incorrect”, there are a couple of options to correct this:

  1. Locate your prior year’s tax return with the correct AGI, update the AGI in your tax extension and resubmit it to the IRS.
  2. If you can’t locate your previous year's tax return, contact the IRS (800-908-9946) to request a copy of your prior year's tax return transcript showing your AGI (this could take 5-10 business days to receive in the mail).
  3. If you can’t locate your previous year’s AGI, you can log back into your extension and change your payment method to "mailing a check" (this eliminates the need for a PIN/AGI).  You will then need to: 
    • Update your extension to reflect “sending check payment” option. 
    • Put a check in the mail to the IRS. Be sure to write your “SS #” and “form 4868” on the check memo.     
    • Resubmit your extension for approval by the IRS. You should have an email from us within minutes letting you know the IRS has received and accepted your updated submission (be sure to check your “junk” and “spam” folders).

Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article