Why do I need my prior year AGI?

Modified on Sun, 10 Sep, 2023 at 8:04 PM

When filing an electronic federal return/extension and making an electronic payment to the IRS for taxes owed for the current tax return/extension due, you are required to validate your electronic payment by entering your prior years AGI, "adjusted gross income".   

To find your AGI, follow the steps below:

  1. Locate your prior year’s tax return’s  AGI “adjusted gross income”.
  2. Use the AGI to create a PIN to submit payment to the IRS when completing the return/extension online.
  3. If you can’t locate your previous year's tax return, contact the IRS (800-908-9946) to request a copy of your prior year's tax return transcript showing your AGI (this could take 5-10 business days to receive in the mail).
  4. If you can’t locate your previous year’s AGI, you can change your payment method to "check payment" (this eliminates the need for a PIN/AGI).    
  5. Put a check in the mail to the IRS. Be sure to write your “SS #” and “form 4868” on the check memo.     


Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select at least one of the reasons
CAPTCHA verification is required.

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article