How to get an extension to file a personal tax return?

Modified on Tue, 20 Dec 2022 at 02:18 PM

Filing a personal tax extension allows taxpayers an additional 6 months from the date the returns are due (typically April 15th unless it falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday) to gather, prepare and file their taxes with the IRS. 

You can file for a personal tax extension by completing IRS Form 4868 and mailing it into the IRS.  Alternatively, you can eFile the extension with an Authorized eFile provider of the IRS, such as our service, and you will be notified within minutes that the extension was received and approved.






Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article