Different ways to file a federal personal tax extension

Modified on Tue, 11 Apr 2023 at 03:16 PM

There are 3 ways to file for a personal tax extension:

  1.  "Print and Mail" paper IRS Form 4868  - complete form and mail it via the USPS to the IRS based on the information provided on the form.  With this method, you will not be notified by the IRS if the extension was received or accepted. 
  2. IRS Direct Pay - you can make an extension tax payment at the IRS website. Making a payment provides you with the federal tax extension, however, you must make an extension tax payment
  3. eFile your extension with an IRS Authorized eFile Provider, such as ours. You will be notified in minutes letting you know that the IRS has received and/or accepted your extension request. 



Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article