What if I don't have my W-2?

Modified on Tue, 20 Dec 2022 at 02:17 PM

To file a personal tax return (IRS Form 1040), you will need your W-2 for from your employer(s)  to complete the return.  If you don't have your W-2, you have the following options:

  1. Contact your employer and ask for a copy of your W-2. 
  2. Contact the IRS for a copy of your W-2 (it could take several weeks or longer to receive the W-2).  Information on obtaining copies of W-2 forms from the IRS can be found here: https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures/copies-transcripts/transcript-or-copy-of-form-w-2 
  3. File a tax extension (IRS Form 4868) by the federal tax deadline, April 15th.



Was this article helpful?

That’s Great!

Thank you for your feedback

Sorry! We couldn't be helpful

Thank you for your feedback

Let us know how can we improve this article!

Select atleast one of the reasons

Feedback sent

We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article